GREEN SMOOTHIE - FACTS and how to blend well February 26 2014, 0 Comments
Green is the new black and this also applies to the GREEN smoothie craze that seems to be maintaining followers and looks to have staying power. There’s a very good reason for that: Green Smoothies or Juices are a fast, convenient and delicious way to fill your body full of nutrients. The injection of vital vitamins and minerals into your body helps make you and your skin glow.
Most of us don’t eat enough green leafy vegetables as part of our daily diet, so blending them up into a yummy drink is definitely the way to go. Cravings for sugar slowly disappear as juices and smoothies become part of your daily food hit. Be careful not all smoothies are created equal so its best to blend your own or opt for a fresh pressed juice when out and about.
But here’s the thing: if you want to really see a difference in your skin, you need to drink them just about every day, especially if you suffer from acne and your skin is crying out for nutrients. Consistency is the key.
Its really worth investing in a 1000-watt+ blender or a high powered blender like the Vitamix, then you’ll have no troubles blending all those fresh, green leaves into a smoothie that’s, well, really smooth!
NOTE: Try not to blend your smoothie for longer than a minute, as the longer you blend, the more oxidation will occur, resulting in a loss of nutrients.
No fail green smoothie recipe
Once you find a combo that you like it will be easy to slightly tweak and create new and tasty recipes. Put 1 cup of greens and 2 cups of fruit (can be either fresh or frozen), plus a little coconut water into a blender and blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute. (You can gradually increase the greens and decrease the fruit as you get used to the taste).
The fruit is added for taste because greens alone can be quite an unsavory blend, but the higher the ration of greens to fruit, the better. Fruits that go well in green smoothies are berries for their anti-oxidant content, as well as bananas, pineapple and apple. You can use just about any green leafy veg, including spinach, kale, swiss chard, lettuce and bok choy.
Why your skin will love the Green!
Just a few points to note of why your skin will love the green...
- CHLOROPHYLL - purifies the blood and acts as a detoxifier thus bringing radiance to dull and tired skin.
- VITAMIN A - an essential component for building connective tissue. Vitamin A deficiencies can result in dry and rough skin and thus exasperate ageing.
- VITAMIN C - this anti-oxidant is a necessary component for the repair and growth of all body tissue, it assist the making of collagen which is important in youthful looking skin.
- SULFUR - found in green veggies, sulfur detoxifies the body, assists to reduce inflammation, improves skin elasticity and is a must for the biosynthesis of collagen.
- VITAMIN K - a big factor in helping to improve the appearance of acne scars, spider veins and other common skin imperfections
Green up and enjoy your blending!